Sunday 18 October 2015

Ryan Brown - The Unusual Suspects.

 
Ryan Brown, easily one of my favourite cover artists of the year, is back with another outstanding Dredd cover. This time, he has taken on Dredd's lawmaster, and the winner is... us!
 
In the prog, Dredd continues his search for the mysterious serial, serial killer (which is a genius idea, all hail John Wagner!) with the help, or hindrance, of the dastardly PJ Maybe. Can Dredd trust the murderous former mayor of Megacity One or could Peter Janet have something to do with the crimes?
 
The tale is very much a Dredd procedural story, albeit with a typically Megacity twist, so Ryan's cover sketches below show Dredd doing his detective work, checking out his suspects on the monitor... 
 
Is... is number three a giant penis?
 
Dredd's visit to the Big Brother house will not end well... 

However, Tharg had different ideas; Ryan explains "Tharg said 'Why don't we go with Dredd on his Lawmaster?"  so I thought of the Boland Origins cover I wanted to do a nod to, with the front on view of the Lawmaster..."

Mind the Origins Marlon.

And here's how Ryan got on. Not too shabby eh?

 As Dredd sped home, his mind turned towards playing a relaxing game of "Guess Who" with Walter and Mrs Gunderson...
 
 
And here's how the Prog looks on your shelf, zarjaz!!!

Crikey, Madonna looks rough...
 
As I said at the start of the article, Ryan is very much one of my favourite Dredd artists at the moment, so I approached him for a commission. I wanted Dredd and Death battling at Pete Wells Block, with Death having the upper hand! I can't tell you how delighted I am with what I got...
 
First, the sketch, which features some sexy finger sucking action...
 
A definite candidate for Viz's Up the Arse Corner.
 
And the horrible, finished piece, which is just amazing!!! I'm absolutely thrilled with it.
 
Ssssydney couldn't help but think of his dear Dad as he helped scrape the plaque from Dredd's teeth...
 
A HUGE thanks to Ryan for sending the images over (and for my wonderful commission!) Be sure to check out more of his excellent work at http://ryanbrown-colour.deviantart.com/ .


No comments:

Post a Comment