Tuesday 8 July 2014

Chris Weston Special 3: Judge Anderson - Wot No Burdis?


August sees IDW publish a brand new Judge Anderson series by Matt Smith and Carl Critchlow. I can't wait for this as Matt has shown himself to be an incredible writer of all things Dredd and Carl's art is always bang on. To top things off, Chris has produced this excellent cover for the series, over to him to find out more...

"The Anderson cover came about after IDW contacted me to see if I would let them use my Rogue Trooper painting on the cover of their short-lived Rogue Trooper comic. I wasn't comfortable with this as this painting wasn't really a true depiction of the classic Rogue character. It wasn't even the War Machine/Friday version either. In truth, this was a picture of Rogue I'd painted to present to Sam Worthington's film company who held the film rights to the character..."

Here's that picture which is just beautiful...

Rogue stars in 'The Prisoner.'

"Instead of letting them have the Rogue art, I offered to draw them something else instead. They instantly offered me the cover of their new Judge Anderson series and I set to work with the following results..."

So below we see Chris' rough - yep, that's right, his rough...

With Anderson's amazing PSI powers she senses a bomb nearby...

Chris tries out a background and lighting test...

Anderson wasn't impressed by everyone's 'Anderson in a Coma' impression...

Then the image is impeccably inked. Note that dead judge in the corner is Judge Burdis. It's great to see that grumpy old shit finally defeated, he might stop moaning about stuff now...

Not content with killing him, Anderson also mocks the size of Burdis' penis.

Finally Chris colours the cover, if I had to criticise I'd have to say there's not enough blood spilling out of Burdis...

Anderson's tales of her time wandering the universe had the usual effect on the audience.

But alas, my joy is short-lived as dead Burdis is gone, replaced by dead Chalmers, which certainly doesn't have the same ring to it.

Hey! I want my dead Burdis back! Chalmers is a lie!

Massive Psi-Flash style thank you's to Chris, not just for these images but for the previous two posts worth too. With his mind-bogglingly intricate art I'm amazed Chris has the time to sleep, never mind send a million images and commentaries to me so again, a whalloping great thanks!

Before I go, I'd like to share my latest 'sketch' from Mr Weston - he usually has a sketch list at cons which you can see on his Facebook page, I can't recommend his awesome sketches enough...

A 24 hour Greggs on every floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment